GAAMAC II Debriefing
15 Apr 2016 | UN Headquarters, New York
By the Philippine and Swiss Missions to the UN
On 15 April 2016, the Permanent Mission of the Philippines to the United Nations, together with Switzerland, will hold a debriefing session for interested Member States and NGOs on the outcomes of GAAMAC II. The session will take place on Friday, 15 April 2016 at 1:15pm in UN Headquarters, Conference Room 7.
The second international meeting of GAAMAC (GAAMAC II) took place in Manila from 2 to 4 February 2016 on the theme "Preventing atrocities: How to strengthen national atrocity prevention architectures." It brought together more than 200 individuals, including delegates from 52 states, 50 non-governmental organizations and 10 international bodies. Over the course of three fruitful days, GAAMAC II convened interested governments, regional organizations, NGOs, and relevant UN offices to discuss and identify the challenges of developing national architectures on atrocity prevention and to strengthen the capacities and strategies of states, international bodies and non-governmental organizations in this field.
The briefing will share the outcomes of GAAMAC II and the progress of GAAMAC as a state-led network that seeks to strengthen national capacities for the long-term prevention of atrocity crimes. The program will include:
- H.E. Lourdes Yparraguirre, Permanent Representative of the Philippines to the United Nations
- Mr. Serge Rumin on behalf of GAAMAC Chair, FDFA, Switzerland
- Ms. Gillian Kitley, Senior Officer, Office of the Special Advisers on the Prevention of Genocide and on the Responsibility to Protect
- Mr. Simon Adams, Executive Director, Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect
- Minister Olivier Zehnder, Deputy Permanent Representative of Switzerland to the United Nations